What does Music look like at Branston C of E Infant Academy?
Our Music curriculum ensures that children develop a good understanding of what it means to be a musician and they have opportunities to explore various genres, instruments and styles of music. They will have experience of listening and appraising, performing, and composing a wide range of musical genres throughout their time at our school.
At Branston C of E Infant Academy, the skills that we will cover in Music:
In EYFS, Music interweaves through all areas of learning and development. Music can be a way of exploring, communicating and responding to experience as well as creating a social experience with others to express our feelings and emotions.. Children begin to build a repertoire of songs and dance through exploring music as a class, small group or through the children’s play. They have many opportunities to explores the different sounds of instruments and use these to play along to different genres of music.
‘Music should be seen as a core component of children’s learning and should be shared with young children to ensure they have broad, balanced and rounded experiences in early childhood and beyond.’ (Musical Development Matters in the Early Years - Nicola Burke, 2018).
During the children’s time in KS1, children will have:
• The opportunity to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work that is inspired by many different influences such as composers or the world around them.
• Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
• An excellent understanding of how musical provenance (the historical, social and cultural origins of music) contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
• The ability to give drawn, written and verbal explanations of impressions that they get from listening to music and begin to use musical terminology in their own compositions, and appraisals.
• A passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.
What is the impact of learning these skills?
As Musicians, the vast majority of pupils have learnt these key skills and can use the fluently in different contexts. Some pupils have a greater depth of understanding. Children at Branston Infant C of E Academy will enjoy music and will be excited about performing their own music.